There is no doubt that
everyone loves to listen to music, but what kinds of music people are listening
to makes the difference. Music has shown to induce emotions such as every day
feelings like anger, sadness, and happiness (Hunter, 131). People who believe
that music induces emotions are usually called emotivists. Emotivists believe
that a certain song can induce certain types of emotions. For example the song
“Party Rock Anthem” by LMFAO may activate an emotion such as joy or happiness. I
am defiantly an emotivist. When I listen to “Party Rock Anthem” your going to
see me jumping around and shuffling like a crazy woman, even if a second before
I was feeling down. But there are also people who believe that music cannot
lead to a certain emotions and that the song is either happy or sad. Listeners
who believe this may call songs happy or sad because the song expresses happiness
or sadness. A person who believes this would be called a cognitivist.
Cognitivists believe that just because the song that they are listening to at
the time is sad doesn’t mean that they are sad. They think that the only time a
person would be sad while listening to music is if it is a bad song. Kivy, a
music philosopher who is also a cognitivist said “I experience unalloyed joy when I listen
to sad music that is great music, utter boredom when it is sad music that is
bad music” (Hunter, 131). If Kivy were to listen to the song “Party Rock Anthem”
and didn’t like it he would be feeling hatred, even though the song is very
happy and outgoing. I believe also it has to do whether or not you like the
type of song you are listening too. But it is up to you to decide whether or
not you are an emotivist or a cognitivist. For my next blog post I will be
posting studies that music philosophers have done on music emotions, until next
time! And if you would like to listen to the song “Party Rock Anthem” please
select the play button down at the bottom of this post. Comment and
tell me what type of emotion you experienced while listen to the song!
No comments:
Post a Comment